Timeline

Crockett & Jones was founded by James Crockett & Charles Jones, with a factory on Carey Street in Northampton at the heart of the country's most famous shoe making town. On the 22nd of January, Prince Charles made an historic visit to the Crockett & Jones Factory as part of a two day tour highlighting the importance of encouraging young people into manufacturing in the UK. <br/><br/>Welcoming a member of the Royal family for the first time since 1924 made for an extremely memorable day for all at Crockett & Jones. Crockett & Jones open their 5th standalone shop in London and 10th worldwide in the prestigious location, Knightsbridge. Crockett & Jones opened their largest shop to date at 92 Jermyn Street, London to become the new ‘flagship’ for the UK.

Demand for Crockett & Jones continues to expand globally with exports still accounting for around 70% of the production, mainly distributed into Europe, Japan and the USA. The 1st stand-alone retail shop in New York was opened by Crockett & Jones at 7 West 56th Street. Crockett & Jones opened a shop on Rue de Namur in Brussels. Crockett & Jones opened a shop on Colmore Row in Birmingham, England.


Philippa Jones, Jonathan’s daughter, started at Crockett & Jones – the first of the 5th generation involved in the company. Crockett & Jones opened their 2nd shop in Paris on Boulevard Raspail.

Nicholas Jones, Jonathan’s brother, joined the company as Production Director. The factory in Perry Street became a Grade II Listed Building to preserve the history of the shoe trade in Northampton. A 3rd London retail shop was opened by Crockett & Jones in Burlington Arcade in the West End. A 2nd London shop was opened in Royal Exchange in the City of London. The 1st Crockett & Jones retail shop in Paris opened on Rue Chauveau Lagarde. Crockett & Jones opened its first retail shop which was located on Jermyn Street in London. Crockett & Jones received the Queens Award for Export Achievement. By this stage exports had risen to approximately 70% of the total production.

Jonathan was appointed as Managing Director, while Richard took on the role of Chairman. Crockett & Jones began to re-focus the business, taking the strategic decision to concentrate on high quality men’s shoes with Goodyear Welted construction and develop export sales across Europe, USA and Japan, in order to replace declining sales in the Commonwealth market.

The Crockett & Jones logo reverted to the original typeface used in the 1890’s as shown on the exterior stone work of the factory, where the main entrance used to be. Jonathan Jones, son of Richard Jones, joined the company as the 4th generation of the Crockett & Jones business. 

Richard was appointed as Managing Director.

Swan and Health branding has now officially been put into the archives and all shoes will be made under the Crockett and Jones brand at the perry street factory.
After the 2nd World War around 75% of the total output was sold 'at home' in the UK with women's shoes counting for around 60% of production. Of the exported production the majority was shipped to Commonwealth countries, such as New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong and Singapore, as well as USA. During the war time period, the factory was primarily producing footwear for the armed forces – officer’s boots and shoes for the Army, Navy and Air Force. Over 1 million pairs of military shoes & boots were manufactured during the war by Crockett & Jones.

Richard Jones, son of Percy Jones, started in the family business in 1947. Crockett & Jones commenced an intensive U.K. and International advertising campaign with the Swan & Health brands.

A 2nd wing was added to the factory in 1935. The main entrance was moved from Magee Street onto Perry Street and the offices were refurbished with a new Showroom to show the growing collections. Crockett & Jones was rewarded with Royal Patronage in 1924 - a visit to the factory by the Duke of York (King George VI).

James Crockett, who became involved with work in the community as well as the business, was knighted for services to Northampton and the footwear industry.

The company was established as a 'family firm' when Gilbert Jones, son of Frank Jones joined. There were now 3 generations involved in running the business.

Production reached record levels of 15,000 pairs of shoes per week by the mid 1920’s, 60% of which were women’s shoes and boots. Crockett & Jones footwear was used for the 2nd time on a Shackleton Polar expedition. This photo features some of the hand sewers who produced boots for the expedition. Crockett & Jones was awarded the Diploma D'Onore (Diploma of Honour) for design, at the International Manufacturing Exhibition of Turin.

A 5 storey wing was added to the original factory.  This was the first all steel structured building in Northampton with copious glass windows to bring in the natural light.
Percy Jones, brother of Frank Jones, joined the business. Crockett & Jones exported to:  Argentina, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Russia, South Africa, USA and later Egypt, the Far East and India. Harry Crockett and Frank Jones, sons of the founders, joined the company.

As the business expanded, Crockett & Jones moved into larger premises on Perry Street, where the factory remains today.